Exploring leadership in the context of an international setting is a rewarding experience that can lead to powerful growth. The Leadership Minor is committed to providing global experiences to support interdisciplinary, multidimensional, and experiential connections with the theory and practice of adaptive leadership.
Current Learning Abroad Experiences
Winter 2021/2022: Leadership & Social Change in Ireland (LEAD 4481)
Investigate ethical leadership while studying the historical, cultural, and political events that led to the “Troubles” in Northern Ireland. This course counts as an elective towards the Leadership Minor.
Deadline to apply is October 15, 2021.
Learn how public policy and social enterprises are shaping Ghana into one of West Africa’s most stable emerging markets. Contact our advising team in advance of this study abroad experience to discuss work that could allow this Learning Abroad experience to be approved as a Leadership Minor elective.
Deadline to apply is February 1, 2022 for priority, with a final deadline of March 1, 2022.
May 2022: Cross-Cultural Leadership in Bali (LEAD 4484) - CANCELED DUE TO COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
Use your knowledge of leadership (community, intercultural leadership, and social constructs of happiness) to examine the current opportunities and challenges the Balinese face while interacting with local citizens and community leaders who are working to make change,.
Unfortunately, due to current government and housing restrictions in Indonesia that are connected to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are not able to run this course in May 2022. We hope to resume this wonderful course May 2023! Stay tuned for more information on this opportunity and visit our Instagram page for a peek into this experience.
Leadership Minor Electives
Did you know that many Learning Abroad experiences can fulfill Leadership Minor requirements?
- Leadership Minor Learning Abroad courses (with the LEAD course designator) count automatically as a Leadership Minor elective.
- Learning Abroad experiences that are 6 weeks or longer will count as your elective if you also concurrently take the 1-credit online course OLPD 3332: Global Identity.
- Learning Abroad experiences that are shorter than 6 weeks do not have the option to take OLPD 3332. Contact our advising team in advance of your Learning Abroad experience to discuss additional work that could allow your experience to be approved as an elective.
- Virtual international internships can also fulfill a Leadership Minor elective requirement. Contact our advising team in advance of your Learning Abroad experience to discuss additional work that could allow your experience to be approved as an elective.
- Virtual international experiences do NOT meet Leadership Minor elective requirements (though they may meet your college requirements for a Learning Abroad experience). Please contact our advising team for more information.
Leadership Minor electives can be earned even if you have not yet officially declared your Leadership Minor.
Unfortunately in the 2021-2022 academic year, the Leadership Minor is not able to offer financial support, awards, or scholarships.
Please visit the Learning Abroad Center Finances page for extensive and helpful resources including information about scholarships, comparing costs, and using financial aid.