Who is it for?
The First-Year Leadership Institute was designed with first-year students specifically in mind. Some of these students may have already stepped into leadership positions on campus during their first semester. Other students may not have had much (if any) experience in the past and may not think of themselves as a leader yet, but might be interested in the idea. Wherever you might fall along this spectrum, the FYLI can be a challenging and fulfilling experience.
While you are not required to be in the First-Year Leadership Institute to be a leader on campus, being a part of this program provides the opportunity to become immersed in the leadership community at the University of Minnesota and to be connected with leaders in the broader community. The FYLI will prepare you for future leadership positions, enhance your personal development as a leader and help you to take ownership of your college experience. Oh, and its fun too.
What do you do?
- Weekend Retreat
- Opening Ceremony aside, the weekend retreat is the real beginning of the program. Students are transported to an off-site retreat facility where they will really meet and connect with the rest of the group while participating in team-building activities.
- Weekly Meetings
- Participants will meet as a group every Wednesday of Spring semester from 6:00-9:00PM. During these meetings, students will learn about leadership from guest speakers, discussions and activities. In addition, students will have the opportunity to practice leadership through the Campus Engagement Project.
- Campus Engagement Project
- Students will become leaders in their own campus engagement project. Using skills learned in the program, students will identify problems and lead an effort to overcome them. In addition to putting their skills into action, students will use this project to have an opportunity to improve their strengths and weaknesses as a leader.
- Mentor Program
- Participants will be connected with a talented group of Senior student leaders. Mentors will meet with participants during weekly meetings and will help participants develop their personal and leadership skills.