Find Your Fresh Start

Good afternoon, everyone! My name is Governess Simpson, and I will be joining the Leadership Team as the new Information Technology Specialist and manager of the blog. I wanted to introduce myself to the community on the blog page. It is a pleasure to meet you all!

I am currently a freshman in the College of Science and Engineering as a Computer Science major with a minor in Leadership. I am involved in my sorority, Alpha Sigma Kappa, and the Association for Computing Machinery – Women’s Chapter. My hobbies include writing and reading slam poetry, weight training, and watching movies on Netflix.

Now that introductions are out of the way, I wanted to kick off my first blog post by discussing something I’ve been reflecting on over the past few weeks.

As we progress through a new year, I, among many others, created New Year’s resolutions with the aspirations of achieving something spectacular and focusing on self-improvement and development. Honestly, who could blame us; 2018 is the start of a promising story we desire to write, whether it be reaching financial security or developing sturdy and healthy relationships.

Personally, 2017 proved to be a very challenging year for myself. With transitioning to college–which came with its own unique set of obstacles–enduring a painful breakup with a loved one, and losing sight of my passions and interests, I ended the year feeling hopelessly lost, defeated, and concerned for my well-being. I felt like I was making the wrong moves for my future professional career. My emotional and mental health were in shambles.

Of course, many of those struggles did not simply disappear the night of New Year’s Eve. However, rather than wallowing in my situation, I made a decision that I want to share with the community with the hopes of helping at least one person who experienced the same thing I did.

I devoted more time to myself and started to truly reflect on what I could change and what I needed to accept in order to move forward.

There is not enough people talking about self-care and mental health. Whenever we undergo depression, anxiety, or downfalls in any aspect in our lives, we indulge in things that can distract us from the now, the things that are holding us back. It makes sense: in the moment, it seems too taxing to confront the real issue. We believe there is nothing we can do.

We need to break free of that pessimistic, destructive mindset if we ever want to reach a place that promotes health and happiness.

On New Year’s Day, I spent the entire day reflecting on what went wrong in 2017. I truthfully acknowledged things about my behaviors or attitudes that I needed to adjust–which is easier said than done, but when you spend the proper time with just yourself, those realizations will start to surface. With my newfound knowledge, I wrote down every single goal I wanted to accomplish in 2018 that would fix the issues I identified, as well as feasible steps to achieve said goals.

At the end of the day, it is all about self-love and catering to yourself to do what you need to do to become stable, happy, and healthy. One regret that I had in 2017 was not taking enough time with myself to address things when issues began to emerge–until it was too late. I refuse to make the same mistake twice, and you shouldn’t, either.

Once again, it is an honor to be welcomed to this community. I am excited to assume my role as the IT Specialist, and I am excited for what may come. Even though we are nearly two months in, that doesn’t mean you can’t find your fresh start.